Now that you’ve purchased your iPhone or Android, you’re probably already at the app store shopping for games and other tools to add to it. Veteran smart phone owners may warn you not to go overboard on applying too many, so that you end up scrolling screen after screen to get something something important. It’s fun to experiment with new apps as you try out your new toy, but knowing exactly what you want for it can help make the shopping decision much easier.
What are the coolest apps to try? It may depend on your definition of “cool,” and what things interest you the most. If you’re interested in keeping up with sports scores, or searching for easy recipes, there are applications to help you. If enjoy games, you’ll find there are some that work even in the remotest areas where your service can not reach you. Looking for ideas? Here are a few programs with general appeal you may wish to test on your iPhone, Android, or other brand. Some are free, others are paid, but all are worth exploration.
1) Google Earth – See the world on your screen. Google Earth on mobile displays any location on the planet with diverse geographic and topographic information.
2) Bookworm – Similar to Tetris, this word-based puzzle game is equally addictive, and has the added bonus of helping you sharpen your vocal skills.
3) Yelp – The app version of this popular social review network helps you track down the best bars and eateries, wherever you are. Get reviews before you make those reservations.
4) Amazon Kindle – With Amazon.com’s proprietary electronic book reader, you can turn your phone into a library. Download samples of hot bestsellers, check out free stories, and buy a book anytime, anywhere when you feel the need to read.
5) The Negotiator – The app version of Priceline.com earns coolness points not only for the tough as nails Williams Shatner screenshot that opens the program, but for the ease of use in finding affordable flights and rentals for travel.
6) Cupcakes! – Who does not like cupcakes? With this neat game you can create your own flavor combinations, decorate, and e-mail to friends. Best of all, they’re all fat free!
7) ESPN Fantasy Baseball – Check on your teams with your mobile phone, make trades and stay updated on all the scores. You do not have to worry much about not getting home in time for the game with this app.
8) Shazam – Do not you hate when you hear a song and do not know who is singing? Download and launch Shazam, hold your phone to the music, and it will give you the artist info and a link to buy in iTunes.
9) Pandora – One of the more popular streaming music apps, Pandora lets you set up channels based on your tastes. You’ll hear your favorite artists alongside similar bands the app recommends.
10) Tweetdeck – On Twitter and Facebook? Tweetdeck lets you check both, so there’s no need to download two separate apps to view your social networks. Post status updates, organize the accounts you follow, and share photos.
With these apps on your smartphone, you can stay updated on the latest news and sports, read up on the classics, and plan a trip anywhere. There’s no limit to what you can discover and achieve.